Politics can be a discouraging or even inflammatory topic. No matter your views at this point, there is something that can discourage you. Face it, some people get inflamed at the mention of one politician or topic. Most of the time, I’d like to just go about my day without hearing any news or thinking about things going on in my state, nation, or internationally. I tend to feel like the whole world has gone crazy.
As a busy mom, I don’t want to get bogged down with all the negativity. At the same time, I hate being blindsided by some legislation I didn’t realize was even being discussed. It's hard to balance so many things, who wants to take time to pay attention to politics?
- Do you know your national constitution? For us in the USA, that means reading and understanding more than just the Declaration of Independence and the first few amendments in the Bill of Rights.
- Do you know your state constitution? At least the base and a summary of the amendments. Oklahoma’s is a mess. They’ve added amendments to the amendments and then some. Most of it is completely unnecessary and some of it is contradictory.
- Do you know who your representatives are? In the USA, we have a state representative, state senator, and federal representative over each district. It can be confusing to figure out how the districts are laid out for each one. Then we have two federal senators for each state. We also have a county commissioner. If you live in town, you also have a mayor and town board members.
- Do you write or call your representatives? We have at least SIX representatives who need to be kept accountable. It is important to know what they are up to and to let them know how you feel about it. Most of us have trouble keeping up with old friends and extended family. It’s hard to keep up with these people, but we really should.
- Did you know the president of the USA is not an all-powerful supreme being granted omnipotence at inauguration? This may sound like a stupid question (and it is) but most people today (even in other countries) act like this is a fact. Our US presidents have been allowed to execute policy without congress. One thing I do agree with Trump on is getting rid of as much of that fluff as he can. It’s not constitutional. Everything is supposed to go through congress before he acts upon anything.
- Did you know judges are only supposed to rule based on the constitution. Yes, they can consider previous rulings, but the constitution is prime. Judges don’t make law, they only rule on the constitutionality of a law and the consequences for breaking it. Judges in the USA are appointed, but the people vote whether or not to keep them. This is where laundering regularly is a great idea.
- Do you know the difference between a republic and a democracy? Seriously, the USA is NOT a democracy. It is a constitutional republic. Make sure you understand the difference.
Above all PRAY for your country and it's representatives. God knows... and HE is in control of it all.
"Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his: And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding: He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him."