Plan to Be Flexible brought tears to my eyes within the first few pages:
"Behind these capable young homeschool kids were their intentional parents: the quiet heroes that had planned, prayed, sacrificed and given of themselves day in and day out in unseen and laudable ways. These parents too were not perfect, yet God had used their best efforts to guide these kids down the right path.
It was obvious that these parents had made deliberate (perhaps difficult) choices in guiding their children. The fruit in these kids’ lives was not the result of chance but of specific plans and goals (and lots of prayer)."
"…let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith…"
What Alicia does do in this book is give you questions to evaluate YOUR family and situation and steps to create a plan that fits God’s will for YOUR situation. You will be able to go through this again and again as your life changes with each season of parenting, Homeschooling, and personal spiritual growth. This will be a regular reference in our home. I will have it listed next to each of my “go to” books for each school year planning session. I’ve got about 10 years more to go, and I’m hear to tell you, I haven’t got it all ‘figured out’ yet!
Introduction: Happy Homeschool Days Are Ahead!
Part 1: Establish and Refine Goals
- Chapter 1: The Finish Line as Daily Guide
- Chapter 2: What’s Working… (and What’s Not) (Part 1)
- Chapter 3: What’s Working… (and What’s Not) (Part 2)
- Chapter 4: Determine This Year’s Goals
- Chapter 5: Create a Master School Year Calendar
- Chapter 6: Build a Curriculum Core for Each Student
- Chapter 7: A Living Curriculum for Real, Live Kids
- Chapter 8: Rhythms, Not Schedules: The Critical Key to Success
- Chapter 9: Mysteries (and Practicalities) of Rhythm-Based Homeschooling
- Chapter 10: Consider Your Unique Learning Environment
- Chapter 11: When Life Interrupts Your “Perfect” Rhythm
- Chapter 12: Homeschooling with Joy and Freedom
Assessment Questions: What’s Working… (and What’s Not)?
Resources for Supplemental Curriculum
Additional Helpful Resources